Spring is here. It's a time for good weather, the great outdoors, and most of all - good food.
Try whipping up chef Jethro Carr's recipes for a light spring salad, followed by a seriously indulgent chocolate waffle - both of which are sure to impress your dinner guests.
Spiced Carrot and Puy Lentil Salad
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
Half a lemon, juiced
1 tsp honey
Salt and pepper
60ml extra virgin olive oil
4 carrots, peeled and shaved into strips using a peeler
250g cooked Puy lentils (or canned, drained and rinsed)
1 red onion
30ml extra virgin olive oil
Large handful of parsley leaves, roughly chopped
100g lamb's lettuce
85g feta cheese, crumbled
1. Toast the cumin seeds in a hot dry pan until they start to pop.
2. Transfer the seeds to a pestle and mortar and grind.
3. Whisk together ginger, lemon juice, honey and cumin seeds in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and whisk in the oil.
4. Heat the lentils, onion and remaining oil in a pan, season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool slightly.
5. Mix the carrot, lamb's lettuce and parsley with the lentils and onion. Top with the dressing and scatter feta cheese on top.
2 large free-range eggs
300ml of semi-skimmed milk
A pinch of salt
225g self-raising flour, sifted
2-and-a-half tablespoons of baking powder
100g unsalted butter, melted
400g plain chocolate, melted
8 tablespoons double cream
60g butter, cubed
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1. Whisk the eggs and milk together
2. Add salt, flour and baking powder, then whisk until combined
3. Stir in melted butter, then leave to rest for 15 minutes
4. Using a griddle pan on high heat, add a knob of butter. Tilt the pan as it melts to coat the pan evenly
5. Pour batter into pan and spread it around. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes, then turn it over and cook for a further 10 minutes
6. While the waffle is cooking, put all of the ingredients for the chocolate ganache into a large heatproof bowl. Place it over a pan of boiling water and stir until melted
7. Serve waffle on a plate with chocolate ganache spread to cover it